Sunday 31 January 2016

Newton Hotel Nairn

On my recent business trip to Scotland I needed to stay somewhere between Aberdeen and Ullapool, I needed to catch the mid morning ferry from Ullapool to Stornoway.

I looked on Hotels.com and the Newton stood out a mile, seeming to offer all I needed. We arrived after dark, so didn't get the full view of the hotel in daylight. the hotel as no signs at the front and the satnav takes you about 300m away.



The check in was easy, although I was disappointed when my colleague was given the Chaplin Suite and I had a standard room. In all fairness I think I got the better of the deal, his room as stone cold and his shower didn't move above freezing. My room was quite large with a good view out at the side.

 


 
The TV was stowed in a large TV cabinet, it was quite an old TV and had few channels. The WiFi again was OK, I managed to watch a film on my iPad.

The bathroom wasn't the most modern, but it was very clean and had everything you needed. I had an excellent nights sleep and felt refreshed in the morning despite our early start.



The breakfast was a continental affair with everything you could want, there was also a cooked to order hot breakfast, we were in a rush but I managed to get my order in and it came quickly enough. The breakfast was very nice.

Overall  7/10

Check In 7/10

Bar  7/10

Breakfast 7/10

http://www.bespokehotels.com/newtonhotel

Nairn seemed a little quiet this time of year, so we chose to eat at the hotel. We made a reservation at the Reception and placed our order at the bar. We would of quite happily eaten in the bar, however the hotel was fairly insistent we ate in the restaurant. In hind sight, eat in the bar. The restaurant is a little drab, probably better when there are more people there.

I opted for the Cullen Skink for starters, then local haggis sausages and Mash potato for my main. I wasn't disappointed! the Cullen Skink was as good as I'd tasted anywhere and the haggis sausage with its rich gravy was Divine.



I had cheese and biscuits for dessert and very nice too.

Restaurant 4/10

Food 7/10

Service 5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment